Sunday, February 12, 2006

Clarification

I neglected to mention in the previous posting that many of the books I have already read. I had read:

A Son Of The Circus by John Irving
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

Not to worry.

Last Thursday I set up a dinner for a group of people I've met. I met them through the Current. The Current is a radio station in this area. It happens to be public radio, yet plays music. It is rather successful after only a year. Part of the station is a fantastic website. It includes such stuff as all the songs played in the last six hours. It also has a group bulletin board type area. Its located here.. They are very bright people and especially knowlegable about music. Its a pretty interesting group.

So we went out to an Indian restaurant. It was great fun. The chatter didn't stop the whole time. The only bummer was the food wasn't very spicy. I chose the restaurant so it wouldn't be too offensive. Yet, one fellow ordered Indian Hot, and I ordered my dish hot. Neither was beyond mild. Rats.

Later this weekend I went shopping for music with a friend and I got these selections.

This Nation's Saving Grace by The Fall
Kicking Television - Live in Chicago by Wilco
Untitled by West Indian Girl
Comfort of Strangers by Beth Orton (extended version)
The Last Guitar by Barry Thomas Goldberg
Subterranean Jungle by the Ramones (extended version)
Let Love In by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
The Runners Four by Deerhoof
Holiday by The Magnetic Fields

I've been a big fan of Beth Orton for some time. She's rather eclectic and I lover her voice. I saw Wilco last spring and really enjoyed the show, and this seemed like a natural extension to get their live disk. I've heard some of it on the radio and it all sounded great. A buddy recommended West Indian Girl. Barry Thomas Goldberg is someone I've met through the Current forum and they have played a bit from it and it sounded great. I am trying to get everything ever done by Nick Cave. I've just fallen for him big time. Ditto for The Fall and I've been a long time fan of The Magnetic Fields. I have the Ramones disc on vinyl, but haven't been playing vinyl much and wanted some of the cool extended stuff. Deerhoof was a band I saw warm up for Wilco I think. It was a spur of the moment. Maybe it was an article in Mojo. I can't recall.

No comments: